For some time now (years), I’ve been wanting to sort out and organise my electronic components.
Over the years (decades) I have accumulated many components and this is dead handy because it means that when I want to build something, I can generally make a start on it whilst I wait for the rest of the bits to be delivered.
Problem is, when I want to knock something up – say a small timing circuit – I can actually spend more time searching through my junk boxes for the right bits than for how long it actually takes me to build it.
Which is annoying. And so I decided to get some sort of organisation in place.
My first idea was to use cardboard pizza-type boxes. If I could get the right size, these would stack nicely in my Ikea Billy bookcases.
Despite much searching of t’internet – and even a visit to a local cardboard-box-making warehouse – I couldn’t find the size that I wanted.
I explainedÂ my dilemma to the current Mrs M. She thought for a moment, disappeared out of the room and returned a minute later holding a compartmentalised plastic box which was exactly the right size. It was full of different coloured Loom Bands. For those of you who don’t have young daughters – or granddaughters – Loom Bands are tiny elastic bands that can be threaded together in an intricate fashion to produce bracelets, keyrings and such. Like me, they were huge in 2014.
I had looked at these plastic boxes before but had rejected them on the grounds that they cost about six quid each – yep, I’m tighter than a nun’s chuff when it comes to money – but a quick search on ebay showed that I could buy exactly the same boxes – but full of Loom Bands – for just Â£2.49 inc p+p. How ridiculous is that?
I ordered half a dozen and they arrived a few days later.
Now, what to do with over 13,000 Loom Bands? Â Amelia already has a biscuit tin full of ’em so she didn’t want any (sorry, she didn’t NEED any… but she WANTED all of them). The intelligent thing to do, of course, would be to sell the bands back on ebay, but I couldn’t be arsed with that. Then a mate suggested the charity shop, which seemed the perfect solution and so I started putting all the bands into plastic bags and – because I’m far too anal for my own good – I kept them all in their individual colours.
Four bloody hours it took me!
Then came the job of removing the sticky label on the lid: another hour and a half, along with half a litre of white spirit, to peel off six labels that had been stuck down with the Chinese version of No-Nails.
But I’ve now started filling the boxes with components and, wow, I should have done this ages ago! I can find the bits I want in seconds now and it’s a doddle to see when I’m getting low on stock, as can be seen by my resistor box.
I may well add some moreÂ boxes later on, but after all that hassle, I think six quid a box sounds quite reasonable!