Apr 02 2017

Being social

“Ha ha! Look Dad”, said Amelia, flashing her phone in front of my face for a second, before snatching it away again. “I’ve found my teacher on Instagram.”

I cast her one of my ‘not impressed’ looks, as I continued to wash the breakfast things. “You know all that social media crap doesn’t interest me one little bit, Amelia”, I said.

“Yeah, but it’s cool, because I can follow Miss Sullivan now and see what she gets up to.”

“Miss Sullivan? Isn’t she your science teacher?”, I asked, my interest piqued.

“Yes.”

“The young, blonde lady I met at Parent’s Evening last week?”

“Yes.”

“Well, show me, then.”

13 comments

Skip to comment form

1. Hahaha! Obviously it’s ALL about the science, eh, Masher?!

• Masher on April 2, 2017 at 20:41

Chemistry methinks, Jules.

1. Not biology?

• Masher on April 3, 2017 at 17:16

Yep, biology.
          Exactly one second after I wrote that comment and clicked the Submit button, I said to myself “Arses! I should have written ‘Biology’, instead.”

• Frances on April 2, 2017 at 07:30

Is it the teacher that was in all the papers last week? Sitting on her bed, legs akimbo !!

ps my son will be here tomorrow ,I shall try and remember to ask him about having to enter my details here every time!

• Masher on April 2, 2017 at 20:42

I know not of this teacher, but she sounds a sort.
      She certainly wasn’t in the FT.

• Alan on April 2, 2017 at 09:09

How many minutes passed before you installed instagram then?

• Masher on April 2, 2017 at 20:44

Nope, I resisted the urge, Alan.

Nowadays, most of my urges are easily resisted, sadly.

• Brennig on April 2, 2017 at 20:16

Is your Insta handle ‘PervyMasher’?

• Masher on April 2, 2017 at 20:44

But if I had one…

• Brennig on April 3, 2017 at 15:36

Attractive 🙂

• Dave on April 4, 2017 at 07:01

On a serious note. Most teachers are advised not to accept “friend” requests from their pupils. In these days teachers need to make sure they can have a level of privacy. There have been cases in the news where teachers have got into trouble for setting a bad example to pupils by being photo’d in pubs drinking. And also to stop the parents of said pupils “perving” over them. I use that term advisedly, I refer the honourable gentleman to the comment Mr Jones made some moments ago.

Of course, I don’t know the age of your children, but the minimum age for instagram is 13.

Aren’t I being a killjoy. I must be becoming more French!

• Masher on April 4, 2017 at 07:26

I guess that in this day and age where it is uncool to not be on social media, it is probably quite difficult for young teachers to have a social life similar to that of their mates.

But if you can’t go out and have a drink in a pub, where can you have one?

Comments have been disabled.